2023 Strategies for Public Sector HR Leaders Certificate Program - Session 1
- Registration Closed
Syllabus: Strategies for Public Sector Leadership Certificate Program
Start Date: November 14, 2023
End Date: December 22, 2023
Instructor: Jeanette O'Quin
PSHRA Contact: Debbie Tankersely-Snook, email@example.com
Welcome to PSHRA's Strategies for Public Sector Leadership. This course will equip you with the necessary tools to shift from a transactional to a strategic role in Public Sector HR by using a competency framework. Your role has evolved beyond merely transactional tasks. Today's HR department in the public sector is pivotal to the agency's success. It involves teaching team building, coaching, conflict resolution, consensus-building, fostering a risk-taking culture, enhancing communication, building trust, and more.
This comprehensive leadership course is designed for mid- to senior-level public sector HR leaders, providing a solid foundation for success.
To achieve this, the course focuses on the following outcomes:
- Assess the impact of HR and human capital management in the public sector and justify HR programs in the public sector.
- Design programs that align with specific competencies within the PSHRA Competency Model, covering three major modules: Leader, Business Partner, and Change Agent.
- Evaluate personal strengths and weaknesses regarding these competencies and create a plan for your individual professional development as an HR professional using the PSHRA Competency Model.
- Plan professional development in accordance with your personal competencies.
You will finish this course with:
- A solid strategic foundation for success.
- A professional development plan.
Certificate of Attendance:
You will earn a Certificate of Attendance upon completion of the course.
The course spans six weeks and follows a specific timeline with a sequence of lessons and cohort sessions. You will receive details about the dates, times, and locations of cohort sessions.
Plan for 90 minutes for each online lesson to read, complete activities, and prepare for cohort sessions. Individuals have varying learning paces, so it might take more or less time for each person. We recommend completing lessons a day or two before the cohort sessions to allow time for reflection on what you've learned and the development of your plans.
Cohort Schedule (subject to change):
- Cohort #1 - 11/20/2023 - 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM ET
- Cohort #2 - 12/6/2023 - 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM ET
- Cohort #3 - 12/12/2023 - 2:30 PM - 4:00 PM ET
- Cohort #4 - 12/19/2023 - 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM ET
Online Lesson (self-paced) - Lesson 1: Introduction
Cohort Session (in-person or virtual) - Session 1: Introduction
Online Lesson (self-paced) - Lesson 2: The Role of the HR Leader
No Cohort Session
Online Lesson (self-paced) - Lesson 3: The Role of an HR Business Partner
Cohort Session (in-person or virtual) - Session 2: The Role of the HR Leader
- Negotiation: the cohort participants will perform a mock negotiation of a contract or provisions of a rule and have sides. This activity will allow participants to see how people react in these situations and practice skills used to defuse tension
- Emotional Quotient/Intelligence: cohort participants will develop a proposed response modeling EQ based on a stressful leadership/communication scenario
Online Lesson (self-paced) - Lesson 4: The Role of the Change Agent
Cohort Session (in-person or virtual) - Session 3: The Role of an HR Business Partner
- Partnered practice scenario performs as a trusted coach or consultant on a challenging people issue such as performance, DEIA, risk management, or leadership coaching (developing) or advising (consulting)
- Partners work on conducting an HR needs analysis
Online Lesson (self-paced) - Lesson 5: Summary
Cohort Session (in-person or virtual) - Session 4: The Role of the Change Agent & Summary
The course includes a workbook. You'll use the workbook throughout the course to reflect on what you're learning, record ideas, plan for future personal development, and plan activities for your agency. There are two versions:
- a PDF version - if you'd like to print it and write your answers and ideas and
- an MS Word version - if you'd prefer to work electronically.
The files have the same content - just differences in page layout. You will use the workbook while taking the online lessons and while attending the cohort sessions.
The workbook is available by selecting the Course Materials tab and then Strategies for Public Sector Leadership Workbook.
Ms. O’Quin is presently a human resources (HR) consultant with senior level experience in the areas of human resources, leadership, organizational development, customer service, financial management and business administration in the water utility industry and public sector. Previous positions held included Director of Administrative Services and HR Division Manager for Pueblo Water from 2002-2021. Prior to Pueblo Water she was the HR Director for Pueblo County for over 15 years. She has extensive experience in talent acquisition and management, employee engagement, as well as total compensation and employee benefits. Specific areas of focus include workforce planning, succession planning, knowledge management and change management initiatives. She has developed and implemented policies and procedures; record retention and regulatory compliance processes; led software conversions; vendor and labor negotiations as well as directly involved with labor/employee relations, mediation and facilitation. She has provided professional development and training in many areas for supervisors, employees as well as for external human resources professionals.
Ms. O’Quin has provided the Developing Competencies for HR Success training on numerous occasions as well as facilitated the "Train the Trainer" for Developing Competencies for HR Success course to develop trainers. She has been a member of IPMA-HR since 1990, past Southern Colorado Chapter President and Western Region President as well as served on the Executive Council for IPMA-HR. She has served on numerous IPMA-HR task forces, IPMA-HR committees and been conference chairperson for both regional and international IPMA-HR conferences.